SPRINGFIELD – At a time when immigrant workers are facing unprecedented surveillance and discrimination, State Senator Javier Loera Cervantes is fighting to protect employees from unfair retaliation from their workplace through new legislation.
“Every employee makes mistakes, especially when filling out confusing, lengthy paperwork,” said Cervantes (D-Chicago). “It is unfair to hold immigrant employees to a wholly different standard where making such a mistake can result in them losing their job. As many immigrants are more afraid of losing work because of their immigration status than ever before due to the current political climate, I am proud to be making one element of their lives less anxiety-inducing through this legislation.”
Federal immigration law requires employers to verify the legal work status of their employees through an online system that compares information from an employee’s I-9 Form to records available to the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration to confirm eligibility. If discrepancies are found, immigrant workers have the possibility of receiving a “no match” letter for a variety of reasons, including instances where the individual changed their name due to marriage. Many employers terminate employees upon receiving this notice, even though they could be legally working in the United States.
Last year, Cervantes passed legislation that requires employers to give employees time to correct documentation discrepancies, and bar employers from taking any adverse action against the employee because of a discrepancy. His new initiative would ensure employees’ rights are protected if an employer has received notice of document discrepancies, including the right to be free from adverse action solely because of a receipt of a discrepancy notice from a federal entity. It also would establish a procedure to resolve violations of these protections, and would create pathway for the employee to take legal action against the employer should these rights be violated.

CHICAGO – Nearly two million Illinois residents rely on Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, to provide basic nutrition for themselves and their families, leading State Senator Javier Loera Cervantes to urge federal lawmakers to resolve the ongoing government shutdown to prevent the cessation of SNAP benefits come Nov. 1.
“I am deeply concerned for how the loss of SNAP benefits will impact families and children in my community,” said Cervantes (D-Chicago). “It is appalling that millions are at risk of going hungry due to partisan disagreements on the federal level.”
SNAP provides critical support for children, seniors, veterans and individuals with disabilities, offering the nutrition they need to live healthy, productive lives. The federal government shutdown threatens to halt these benefits immediately, putting millions at risk of food insecurity – including the 38,912 people in the district Cervantes represents who rely on SNAP benefits.

BERWYN – After video surfaced on social media of an Immigrations and Customs Enforcement agent threatening a pregnant woman and her child with a gun, State Senator Javier Loera Cervantes (D-Chicago) released the following statement:
“I am absolutely horrified to see the video shared of reckless behavior of ICE agents in my community. It is a miracle that no one in this family was injured by ICE’s rash behavior, as only a flex of their finger on the trigger could have turned the encounter into a deadly tragedy. Their actions are deplorable and deeply concerning for the safety of my constituents.
“I am reiterating once again that we, in Illinois, do not want or need ICE agents or the National Guard. As this instance and the recent disruptive operations in Little Village and Cicero prove, their presence only create chaos and unnecessary fear. Thank you to everyone in our neighborhoods helping each other out during these stressful times. Know that I am with you and will not stop fighting for the immigrant community and Latinos in our community.”
BERWYN – After several community members were arrested by ICE agents in Chicago, Cicero, and Berwyn, while others were threatened with weapons, State Senator Javier Loera Cervantes (D-Chicago) released the following statement:
“I am horrified at the excessive use of force displayed by ICE agents in my community this week and over the past month. Every day, community advocates share stories of mothers taken away from their children, protestors pepper sprayed, and other reckless treatments from federal agents. This week, images were released of an agent pointing an assault weapon at an unarmed civilian. These actions demonstrate a gross disregard for the safety of our residents. This is not normal, and is deeply alarming.
Page 3 of 29